Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring Break in Norcal: Day 2

Day 2 of Spring break entailed a leisurely breakfast at the Kernutt house...a HUGE dog sighting (ask Christopher to tell you that story....it's like his "big fish" story....the dog just keeps getting bigger and BIGGER) and then we stopped by his good buddy Robert Noel's house in Antioch. I haven't been able to spend much time with Robert, but in the few encounters I've had, it's been a blast and I can tell these two have been partners in crime for a LONG time. When Christopher first mentioned his friendship with Robert, he mentioned that his occupation was a Chocolatier. 

(my thoughts) Sold. We're best friends.

And then the three of us got to have some good conversations about life and God... and chocolate and I've come to the conclusion that Robert is a top shelf friend and I'm stoked that Christopher's been blessed with such a solid guy in his life. Here's a cute one of them catching up on Robert's 1930's style porch...



 Aaaand the three of us.... kind of blurry, but it get's the point across. We had fun.


When we first pulled into Robert's neighborhood... I'm not gonna lie... I thought to myself, "what is this successful YOUNG chocolatier doing living in this kind of neighborhood?" The place looked like downtown LA... just a very "rough" part of town. Then the three of us had some conversations that made me realize just how deep and amazing Robert's choice to live here is. 


Yes, Christopher's friend Robert is a young and successful business man. He's extremely talented in marketing and is a colorful people person... the kind of person people just enjoy being around. But his heart is with the broken and the needy and that is why he chose to live in the rundown part of Antioch. So he could live in the midst of the people he's grown to love and with whom is heart goes out to. He has given much thought to how his life needs to be in line with the call to live and love as Christ teaches in the New Testament. He told us stories about kids he gets to hang with...about the hardships they go through with drugs and violence as an everyday thing. One story, in particular, broke my heart as he told us of this girl who has everything going for her except a family who gives a rip about her. This girl's mother told her she was going to give her up to foster care simply because she didn't like her. This girl has no money for food. No money for clothes. No money to wash the clothes she had on her back. She literally has nothing.

One might feel a bit overwhelmed by just one story like this...and yet there are SO MANY. There's so much hurt and pain and twisted things happening everywhere... makes you wonder what one person could actually do to make a change. Robert decided to buy a house in that neighborhood... Norcal's equivalent to skid row. He wants to dedicate his whole being into this program he calls C.O.C. .This youth ministry is a part of Golden Hills Community Church and is based in Antioch, California. They have small groups, serve meals, hang out times, they tutor the kids, and they offer a place for the inner city youth to have some "away" time with people who care about them. 


Inspiring. Moving. Encouraging.  I love meeting people like this because it reminds me of my purpose. I'm not just a wedding photographer...I'm a part of the body. Makes me really think about what I need to be doing to bring more of heaven to earth... about what my sacrifice needs to be. For some, sacrifice for His glory means giving up their lives entirely.... for others it means giving up the luxuries this world has blessed them with... and still, for others it may mean something entirely different. Keep trekking. Keep chasing after Him. And keep laying your life down for the sake of others...and you'll find it.

P.S. there are a ton of ways you can help C.O.C. out. Make sure to check out the facebook group:

 http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=57599055674&ref=mf

Much more to come tomorrow...so stay tuned!

Peace for now...

1 comment:

  1. I love reading and seeing how God is blessing you, Kate!

    ReplyDelete

"Welcome and thanks for stopping by my blog! I've discovered recently that, in addition to photography, writing is a passion of mine and I've loved including you all in my personal journey this past year. So please feel free to read about my adventures, comment often, and enjoy my photos!"     - Kate Noelle | International Wedding & Portrait Photographer |