Monday, April 27, 2009

Part-ay Time!!!

News Flash: I'm not 18 anymore... sad and happy thought at the same time. Sad because I don't get to go to school everyday, I don't get to be a boy-crazed teenie-bopper without excuse, and I don't get to get all prettified for proms and winter formals anymore. Happy because I have a MAN for a special friend, I get to work for myself, I get to play wedding with brides all the time, I own my own carrrr, I have money (sometimes).... so I guess it's more of a happy thought than a sad one. But still... I have those creepy thoughts about crows feet and smile lines that give me day-mares...and night ones too.

Saturday was MY birthday dinner... you might recall last Saturday was a day filled with Christopher's special wishes and friends.... but Saturday was MY day. I woke up to the Socal morning sun streaming in horizontal lines through my shades, a cat on my feet, and the promise of a fun filled day. The parents, Christopher, and I headed to the UCI farmers' market to get our weekly quota of fresh and brightly colored fruits and veggies (yet another reason I could never leave Socal for too long....) and some morning Java from Peet's coffee. (Side note: I decided something over the course of the past 4 months. I do NOT like Peet's espresso. It's A Grind's Espresso tastes SO MUCH BETTER. Just thought you should know.) We came home, ran some more Saturday afternoon errands, broke a sweat at the gym, and then... I got sidetracked decorating my birthday table. Last week's dinner table was decorated MAN style for Christopher's birthday, but this week was decorated KATE style.... what can I say... I went a little overboard with the creativity.

If you're wondering what the heck these are... I decided it would be a great idea to custom create napkin holders out of whatever was in my art box. It just so happened that I had a bit of 30-gauge wire, some wire cutters, and some buttons & beads... and a bit of the Sunday Newspaper. I had a ton of fun being creative and making something fun for the table... this little project of mine consumed most of the late afternoon..s causing me to be a little late to my own party.... haha. Oh well... such is the life of a crazy junk-hugging artist.


This one is, not by far, my favorite of the bunch... it was hard to choose a favorite...

My birthday would not be complete without some BEEE-yootiful Gerber Daisies to accent my creation. Every Saturday I look hopefully through the flowers at the Farmers' Market for colors to make my heart sing. I don't find colors I like most of the time... they're alright, but they don't make me hungry. Well.... in honor of my birthday, I'm convinced He special picked some just for me :) If you don't know, white Gerber daisies usually have an ucky yellow tinge to them... but I found some beautifully white ones with black centers! I could sit for hours and just look a them!
I also found my favorite shade of orange... a "sweet corn meets butterscotch" yellowish orange. and both of these colors together definitely made my day 153 times brighter! My mom noticed how happy the flowers made me and decorated my cake to match  :) Go Mom!
Notice the Japanese writing above my name on the envelope? Yeah... that's my awesome sister's writing.... she's half Japanese... taking Japanese in school! And for my birthday, she actually wrote it for me! I feel so SPECIAL...



When it came time to partake in the family tradition of telling the birthday person what we're grateful for in their lives, I was blown away at everyone's words. I think it's always slightly awkward being the dead center of attention and praise, but it's what fans the flame of dreams and goals for me. Last year on my birthday I was still finding my place in the dreams and goals I had before leaving for YWAM...& I was treading through all the "shoulds" and "coulds" left in the wake of my life changing adventure. This year on my birthday I am a wedding photographer... I own my own business... and I get to do what I'm most passionate about--live for Him doing what He created me to do.... and it's only been a year. I wouldn't have gotten here without the words and consistent support from the family and friends that celebrated with me in this 23rd year of my life.

Father, thank you for breathing life into my lungs.
Thank you for creating me like I created my napkin holders... with complete and utter excitement... unique and beautiful in my own way.
Thank you for another year to try my best to hear your whispers in the colors and people around me.
Thank you for the eyes you've given me to see in Your measure of beauty.
Thank you for loving me first.
Draw me close.
Hold me tight.
Show me You.




6 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, just linked over from a post you made on OSP. I just turned 23 this month too! Yay for April Babies!! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're beautiful. Thank you for that post. If I had been at the table, you would've been blown away by my words too because you have NO idea how much I think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate. Thanks for sharing your special day. I can't believe you're only 18. You've accomplished so much already, I can't imagine what wonderful things you'll accomplish in the years to come. I love the way you spent your day, the way you wanted it spent and steeped in family tradition. What a truly beautiful person you are on so many levels.
    God bless,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, You are one of the sweetest girls I know and it's awesome to see your love for the Lord. Hope your birthday was fabulous and that your second year of business is super successful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, I just read your blog and everytime I do it amazes me. I love the way you express yourself, it is so refeshing and encouraging. God always seems at the center of your heart and reflected in your words. Keep us up to date, I look forward to every entry. Your pictures are as always fun, interesting and beatiful. God has truly blessed you with a talent for photography, writing and relating to people. Continued blessing on your future.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. where did you go for ywam!? i'm going next year and i can't wait..i'm finding such a bittersweet thing. i created a family away from family once i moved away for school and now that i am getting ready to leave them i'm remembering that erie feeling of the unkown. i'm so excited for ywam though..i've been waiting/praying/preparing for this time for years.

    ReplyDelete

"Welcome and thanks for stopping by my blog! I've discovered recently that, in addition to photography, writing is a passion of mine and I've loved including you all in my personal journey this past year. So please feel free to read about my adventures, comment often, and enjoy my photos!"     - Kate Noelle | International Wedding & Portrait Photographer |