Sunday, May 10, 2009

Joel and Carrie's "I Do"

The Sun's rising over the North Carolina horizon. Brilliant pink and orange illuminate the purple storm clouds and give shape to the silhouettes of the surrounding forestry. All's quiet on this end of the terminal at Greensboro International Airport and as I sit here in the stillness, I find myself thinking back on yesterday... how this has probably been the most emotional wedding I've ever shot.


This trip has given me the chance to catch a glimpse of His face... to catch a glimpse of His glory here...I crave it. I got the chance to spend the past few days celebrating with two extraordinary people. Carrie and Joel are AMAZING, and through their love for each other and how they live their lives, they have given their family and friends... and me... a glimpse of Heaven on our earth. It's not like we haven't seen two lovers before and this isn't the first wedding we've been to. But love like theirs is as rare as a beautiful sunrise. Few people rise early enough to see one, but when you do, it takes your breath away knowing that something that beautiful can happen. It stops people in their paths, even in airports where everyone is going somewhere and and there are agendas and time clocks to mind.... people stop and stare because there's something that happens when we witness true beauty.... we're moved to be still.


Something happened in me at the rehearsal. Something in me released the floodgates and I couldn't figure out, for the life of me, why I was so moved by the REHEARSAL of the ceremony that would take place the next day. Both Carrie and Joel want nothing other than to see the face of God everyday of their lives. They have a fiery boldness to them that's often mistaken for meekness. This is what it's supposed to be like.... a wedding, that is; a stark reflection of True Love and True Beauty coming together to make the vow to never leave or forsake each other... like it means something. It's three cords are entwined with Love's first kiss as Man and Wife with God, Bridegroom and Bride with the Father. And then it's celebrated with food and dance with happy hearts and reckless abandon. The tension, the introduction, the invitation, the vow, the celebration. 


Carrie and Joel are not just clients, they're deep friends of mine and I am completely humbled by their request for my photographic eye at their wedding. The hospitality shown and the intimacy shared amongst those present on their special day renders me without words to describe the joy I have in my heart. I leave today with a renewed sense of purpose and a deeper burning in my heart for more glimpses of His face. I hope this slideshow does the day and Carrie and Joel justice... make sure to grab some tissues....

7 comments:

  1. katie lady!! awesome pictures. wedding pictures are so much more meaningful when you actually know the people, joel and carrie look amazing and mostly were feeling amazing too. you defiantly captured that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful job Ms. Kate...as always. I could tell that they were so blessed to have you as their photographer. Great job sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous pictures. Beautiful wedding. The only spoiler (and I was definitely disappointed that you included it) was the writing on the car window, "About to get lucky." Puh-leeze! That's for high schoolers copping a feel in the back seat of dad's car, NOT for the beauty and holiness and approved sex of marriage! Lucky? No. Blessed? Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "SEXUAL BLESSINGS TONIGHT..THE HOLY KIND!"

    i will DEFINITLY include a picture of this if it's ever written on a getaway car.

    i think anonymous above meant to say fabulous pictures. beautiful wedding. no spoiler..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The window art is in reference to a song that goes "what do I have to do to get lucky with you?" It was perfect and right in this context. Carrie and Joel did everything right! They sought their parents blessings, courted properly, became engaged and then got the marriage license! Wow - did they deserve to get 'lucky'! It's a shame the world looks at things through such cloudy lenses.
    --- the Bride's mother

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAYYYYYYYY

    I LOVE love LOVE them

    To all you blog followers- CHOOSE Kate Noelle you will NOT be disappointed.

    She is pure genius behind a lens.

    Thanks so much Kate- your pictures totally captured the day and the fun that we had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the pictures are absolutely amazing! having been in attendance, i believe you captured joel and carrie's relationship beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete

"Welcome and thanks for stopping by my blog! I've discovered recently that, in addition to photography, writing is a passion of mine and I've loved including you all in my personal journey this past year. So please feel free to read about my adventures, comment often, and enjoy my photos!"     - Kate Noelle | International Wedding & Portrait Photographer |