Sunday, July 19, 2009

Photo Date 1: Balboa au Ralph Lauren

In the past year, I've definitely seen a lot through the lens of my camera, but I've forgotten to document me in the world I so earnestly want to photograph. As one can imagine, it takes quite  bit of energy and tactfulness to take decent self portraits and I just haven't given it any thought or consideration until Christopher sat me down and said, "something's missing from our relationship." As alarmed as I was to hear that, I was even more confused. He continued, " we have no pictures of us." I breathed a sigh of relief and we began discussing what we could do to rectify the situation. We came up with the brilliant idea of "Photo Dates."

Basically we set a date each week/every other week to do self portraits of ourselves and of each other. This way, we get pictures of us as times goes on, and we both get practice in themes, styles of photography, lighting, and posing. For me, this is a good outlet and an excellent opportunity to experiment and learn more with no pressure. For Christopher, this is probably the best way to improve all around. We decided that when we set a Photo Date, we will also set a theme/style of the date. From there we researched images within the theme/style and studied poses, lighting, and post processing techniques to get the desired look we wanted.

This past week was our first one... kind of a test run. Christopher took most of the responsibility for this one as I was super packed in my work load. We decided to go with a classy preppy look and researched Ralph Lauren ads for our references. Here's what we came up with....

Christopher found the place, posed, and took this one...


Self timer self portrait...


Self timer self portrait again...

Christopher took these of me...


And this one is definitely my favorite of his shots... he posed and captured this one... I was IMPRESSED!


So anyways, I just wanted to share this with you all because it was so fun and a good diversion from work. There's some big news dropping soon... stay tuned!

4 comments:

"Welcome and thanks for stopping by my blog! I've discovered recently that, in addition to photography, writing is a passion of mine and I've loved including you all in my personal journey this past year. So please feel free to read about my adventures, comment often, and enjoy my photos!"     - Kate Noelle | International Wedding & Portrait Photographer |