Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day Trippin' to the Salton Sea

When life gets crazy and "the biz" starts wearing on you...sometimes you just have to get away and shoot the "anythings" and "different-things" to feed your creativity engines again. This is exactly what I got to do with some new friends from [b]school last week. I was definitely feeling the fine art bug that day at the Salton Sea, so most of my images are not of people, but of lines and color...here's some shots from the day...



This place was "emo kid paradise" ... an abandoned night club right on the smelly dirty Salton Sea...



I was super surprised to find this bit of vandalistic art inside the night club...my first reaction was "well this is ironic"....but later I found out that the "Mamen" I was thinking of is actually spelled "Mammon". Mammon was the old testament pagan god of money...so I thought it was interesting how someone had taken such time to write "F*** you Mamen" on a wall of an abandoned nightclub that was trashed...
I was really feeling an Ansel Adams-ish style that day... probably because I miss my exploratory photography buddy Jonathan Lau.



One of the cool people I got to hang with that day was John Mireles. He's not only a fun guy but he's so helpful! He had an engagement shoot that day at the sea, but he totally let people observe and shoot with him.....so cool! For all you photographers, he's developed this really cool shooting tool called a Look Book! And he's totally using his own product here...haha

This is the beautiful couple John was shooting that day...and they were gracious enough to pose some for me as well! Thanks so much you guys!








The sunset was gorgeous...an amazing end to a very insightful and fun day!
Here's a shout out to all you amazing photographers I got to meet and hang with all day! Jack Ratana, Hannsie Trainor, Joe Photo, Becker, John Mireles, and Shauna Couri ...You guys are so talented, I'm honored I had the chance to hang with you! Until next [b] school day trip...

6 comments:

  1. those were definitly some Lau pictures. :) love them..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree they were Lau pictures- great photos though, I like, Always fun to just shoot and have fun being creative

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic to see you again! The shoot looks like it was fantastic... The Salton Sea is definitely on my long list of places to shoot in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate!

    Love the photos. Your black and white shots are great. That was a fun day... I hope my Ashley and Russ shots are as good as yours. ;-)

    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Kate! It was great seeing you in Vegas and I'll be blogging a few later today too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate! You rock girl! Can't wait for the next trip!

    ReplyDelete

"Welcome and thanks for stopping by my blog! I've discovered recently that, in addition to photography, writing is a passion of mine and I've loved including you all in my personal journey this past year. So please feel free to read about my adventures, comment often, and enjoy my photos!"     - Kate Noelle | International Wedding & Portrait Photographer |